Centuries ago toothpaste was made from crushed bones and oyster shells to clean teeth. Modern toothpaste has come a long way from its predecessor and now serves several purposes. The majority of the products on the market have fluoride to make teeth stronger and protect them from cavities, mild abrasives to help with plaque removal, flavouring to freshen breath and additional ingredients to improve consistency and shelf-life.
Currently there are several dental products on the market that promise to provide several benefits in one formulation. We will discuss the most popular toothpastes you can get from your local supermarket or pharmacy.
1. Colgate Total Toothpaste
First Colgate toothpaste was released in 1873 and it was sold in a glass jar. First toothpaste in a tube was introduced in 1896.
Colgate Total was released 15 years ago and haws been one of the most popular toothpastes on the market.
- Helps to reduce Tartar
- Whitens (mild abrasive and plaque control)
- Freshens Breath
- 12h Antibacterial Protection
- Helps to prevent Cavities
- Reduces Plaque
- Fights Gingivitis
– Sodium Fluoride 0.22% W/W or 1000 parts per million. Makes teeth more resistant to dental decay and has anti-bacterial action. This is a commonly use fluoride formulation found in a lot of other toothpastes.
– Triclosan 0.3% W/W with co-polymer which makes triclosan “stick” to teeth. Provides 12h anti-bacterial action guarding teeth against bacteria associated with dental decay and gum disease
There are several reasons why Colgate Total is a popular choice among consumers and professionals. Its antibacterial action has been clinically proven to reduce gum disease, improve bad breath due to long-lasting antibacterial action and prevent plaque build-up. The original formulation comes as classic white coloured toothpaste with a pleasant mint flavour and smooth consistency. It is also available in several other variation – Whitening, Fresh+ Whitening Gel, Clean Mint Paste, Enamel Strength and Deep Clean.
2. Oral-B Pro-Health All Around Protection Toothpaste
It was released in Australia earlier this year and it took developers several years to create the final product.
- Prevents Cavities
- Prevents Plaque
- Prevents Gum Problems
- Builds increasing protection against painful sensitivity
- Prevents Tartar
- Whitens teeth by removing surface stains
- Prevents Enamel Erosion
- Freshens Breath
– Stabilised Stannous Fluoride 0.454% W/W or 1450 parts per million. Stannous Fluoride toothpaste has been recommended to patients for decades due to its powerful anti-decay properties. It also makes teeth more resistant to erosion, helps to prevent and relieve sensitivity and has anti-bacterial action.
– Sodium Fluoride 0.078% W/W. Commonly used fluoride formulation, helps to make teeth more resistant to decay.
– Sodium Hexametaphosphate. Amplifies the action of fluoride and its benefits plus it helps to control staining and tartar build-up
It is a great product for those who have a high incidence of dental decay and early decay lesions (it helps to prevent decay progression). It has fresh mint flavour and gritty “crystals” which dissolve once they come in contact with saliva. Unfortunately it does have a mild aftertaste due to active ingredient but a lot of patients don’t seem to mind it (particularly after a few uses). Pro-Health All Around Protection is available in two flavours – Clean Mint and Fresh Mint.
3. Sensodyne Complete Care
Sensodyne toothpaste has been a popular choice for many people with sensitive teeth. Sensitive toothpaste work by either numbing the nerve inside the tooth or building a protective layer to “insulate” teeth against sensitivity.
- Creates a protective mineral layer over sensitive areas to shield you from the pain of sensitive teeth
- Strengthens & re-hardens enamel
- Helps to protect against plaque
- Helps to maintain healthy gums
- Freshens breath
- helps restore natural whiteness
- gives a clean feeling
– NovaMin – an advanced calcium and phosphate complex which helps to build a protective layer over exposed root surface, therefore, reducing sensitivity.
– Sodium Fluoride 1450 parts per million. Has an anti-bacterial and enamel rebuilding action which helps to prevent and control decay.
Good choice for people who need to use toothpaste for sensitive teeth on a daily basis. Apart from protecting teeth from sensitivity, it has added benefits of fluoride plus inclusion of silica to gently lift stains from teeth (abrasive kinds of toothpaste can worsen sensitivity).