At Trembath Dental, all our treatment plans are created with your well-being in mind. Inadequate oral health is a serious concern that can often lead to other severe conditions. Our aim is for all of our patients to achieve an optimal level of oral health and maintain this for life.
Before any dental treatment is started, Dr Paul Trembath discusses every angle of the procedure with you. You will then be provided with a dental treatment plan and an estimated cost based on your assessment. This includes tooth extractions, which is always a treatment of last resort at our Mount Gravatt, QLD dental surgery.
When an Extraction Might Be Needed
In some situations, pulling a tooth might be the best course of action, such as:
- A tooth is irreparably decayed or damaged
- A solution for gum disease
- To eliminate overcrowding
- After a trauma
Self-Care after Tooth Extraction
It’s important to practise good self-care after a tooth extraction to promote healthy healing. Dr Trembath will give you instructions before you leave our Brisbane dental surgery.
- Avoid hot food or drinks until after the anaesthetic has worn off. You could potentially burn yourself while you are still numb and cannot feel pain.
- Don’t rinse your mouth for the first 24 hours following a tooth extraction.
- Avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours after the procedure because it can inhibit healing.
- Don’t drink out of a straw or smoke a cigarette in the days following the extraction. Both can loosen the blood clot that is forming at the site, causing an unpleasant and painful condition known as ‘dry socket.’
- Eat soft foods in the days following the procedure, gradually introducing more and more foods as the site heals.
Replacement for Missing Teeth
When you are missing a tooth, it’s crucial that you replace it and fill in the space left behind. Leaving a gap in your smile may not only impact your ability to chew and speak properly, but it can also put the health of your remaining teeth at risk. When there is a space in your smile, your teeth will naturally start to shift to fill in that space. This can lead to other oral health issues, including the loss of more teeth.
Dental bridges. These literally bridge the gap in your smile with a fixed oral appliance that is designed to blend in with your natural teeth. Generally attached to two healthy teeth fitted with crowns, this non-removable prosthetic keeps your remaining teeth in place and ensure you can speak and chew properly.
Dental implants. Generally considered the best tooth replacement option available, dental implants are surgically placed into the jawbone where they integrate over time. When the area has healed, we place a natural-looking dental crown on top of the implant. Because they become part of the jawbone, they are very much like a natural tooth.
If you suspect you need a tooth extraction, we invite you to call Trembath Dental. Dr Trembath can advise you and help you decide the best course of action.